The Texas Innovation Corridor has become a magnet for growing companies because of its prosperous economic environment and region’s vast talent pool. From 2010 to 2020, Hays County experienced more than a 40% increase in jobs (CHMURA Economics & Analytics, JobsEQ).
The Greater San Marcos Partnership (GSMP) is a nationally recognized economic development organization whose mission is to positively impact the regional economy of Hays and Caldwell Counties through the attraction of high quality jobs and investment.
Job Title: Chief Operating Officer
Reports to: President & CEO
Supervises: Senior Director, Economic Development/Job Growth; Director, Marketing & Communications; Director, Investor Relations
The Greater San Marcos Partnership (GSMP) is a nationally recognized and award-winning regional economic development organization whose mission is to positively impact the economy of Hays and Caldwell Counties through the attraction of high-quality jobs and investment. The GSMP is a 501(c )6 organization with an annual budget of $2 million which acts as the economic development contractor for the City of San Marcos, Hays County and Caldwell County and works with nine other communities in the two-county footprint.
A close-knit team of ten economic development professionals work to implement a five-year economic development strategic plan called Vision2025 which drives the organization’s program of work. The strategy focuses on marketing & promotion, business recruitment, existing business retention and expansion, small business and entrepreneurship, workforce development, and quality of place.
GSMP is seeking an experienced, focused and highly organized professional to lead the internal operations and day-to-day functions of the organization. Located on the historic square in the heart of downtown San Marcos, this senior leadership position will be official second in command within the growing organization.
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) reports to the President & CEO and supervises the GSMP’s three department heads. Although this is an internal facing role, the individual must be comfortable building key relationships: include elected officials, local business executives, site selection consultants, corporate prospect executives, regional partner organizations, higher education institutions, workforce training partners, public and private sector investors, and the media.
The COO provides the internal organizational leadership, personifying the organization’s core principles of accountability and transparency. The role will be a trusted partner to ensure all operational goals are achieved while continuing to build on the excellent internal team culture and extremely high levels of output and organizational success.
Mission and Values of GSMP
To be a force for positive economic change by attracting and growing quality jobs and investment.
▪ Accountability, Transparency & Integrity
▪ Commitment to Excellence
▪ Continuous Improvement to our Processes & Operations
▪ Exceptional Customer Service
▪ Strategic thinker who understands and maximizes operational management with a diverse team in a fast-paced work environment
▪ Strong knowledge of finances, measurement, and management of resources to support the broader mission of the organization
▪ Depth of experience in management, fostering meaningful collaborations across the organization, developing staff and building methods of accountability
▪ Provide key oversight and management of finances, control expenses while helping support organizational growth and development, strong budget management skills and accountability
▪ Knowledge of nonprofit management; Government contracting and reporting
▪ Lead a team of senior leaders through challenges and opportunities in a diverse array of community, public and private challenges
▪ Work closely with the President & CEO to execute the strategic priorities of the organization while balancing the day-to-day management
▪ Ability to represent the organization externally, as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
▪ Extensive experience (At least 5 cumulative years) managing operations for a growing organization of similar size and scope.
▪ Demonstrated ability to manage a complex organization, prioritize multiple projects, meet quality and timeliness standards, and complete projects efficiently.
▪ Experience with and demonstrated results managing finances and budgeting.
▪ Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to present complex ideas in an easy-to-understand and engaging manner.
▪ Evidence of strong analytical skills and problem-solving abilities with success in highly data-driven environments.
▪ Demonstrated success in supervising a team of professionals and assessing their performance for organizational success.
▪ Demonstrated experience working with multiple jurisdictions, stakeholders, and others to achieve a common goal.
▪ Demonstrated ability to work with confidential information, while keeping projects on task.
Education & Experience
▪ Bachelor’s degree in Business, Public Administration, or related field required. Master’s is preferred.
▪ Ten or more years of experience in a leadership role within a business or like organization.
Salary range: $120,000 to $130,000 plus benefits.
Benefits include: Medical/dental/Vision benefits paid 100% for employee, 401K, 3 weeks of paid time off, annual bonus consideration. Relocation assistance may be considered.
To apply, send resume and cover letter to Jason Giulietti, President & CEO, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below are some of our partner organizations who have ongoing job opportunities available.
Does your company have a paid or unpaid internship available? Contact GSMP's Maggie Gillespie at email@example.com with the following information:
Whether the internship is paid or unpaid
Any age and education requirements for the internship
The expected hours for the internship
What industry the internship is in
If you want to broaden your search, check out the tool below. Utilizing the power of LinkedIn you can easily target your search to find the latest employment opportunities in our region of Texas.