Nominations Open for 2016 Governor’s Small Business Awards
San Marcos, Tex. - The Greater San Marcos Partnership announced today that nominations for the 2016 Governor’s Small Business Awards are now open. Small businesses in Hays, Caldwell, Comal, Guadalupe, Bexar and Travis Counties are encouraged to submit nominations now through Tuesday, August 16, at 11:59 PM CST at www.surveymonkey.com/r/2016smallbusinessawards. Winners will be announced on September 1 at the Governor’s Small Business Forum at Embassy Suites (1001 E. McCarty Ln.). Registration for the event is available at www.bit.do/smallbusinessforum2016.
“This is the third year in a row that we’ve been selected as the host partner for the Governor’s Small Business Forum and we’re proud to be able to bring the recognition of the Governor’s Small Business Awards to businesses in our region and surrounding area,” said Adriana Cruz, President of the Greater San Marcos Partnership. “This is an opportunity for our communities to recognize the hard work and risks taken by these small business owners, which help our region to create jobs.”
Winners will be selected based on:
1. Staying power – a substantiated history as an established business;
2. Growth in number of employees – a benchmark to judge the impact on the job market;
3. Increase in sales net profit and net worth – for calendar years 2013, 2014 and 2015;
4. Innovativeness of product or service offered – an illustration of the creativity and imagination of the nominee;
5. Response to adversity – examples of problems faced in the nominee’s business and methods used to solve them; and
6. Contributions to the community – evidence of the use of personal time and resources.
Criteria for the San Marcos awards is based on guidelines for the Small Business Administration awards, of which nominees for the Governor’s Small Business Awards in San Marcos may be eligible for in 2017.
Winners from each county in the event’s region will be recognized in three categories: Small Business of the Year, Woman-Owned Small Business of the Year, and Veteran-Owned Small Business of the Year. A committee representing the Austin-San Antonio region will select the winners from the pool of nominees.
The Governor’s Small Business Forum is an event geared towards small business owners in the Austin-San Antonio region. Doors will open at 8:30 am and the program begins at 9:00 am. Tickets, which are available to the public at www.bit.do/smallbusinessforum2016, are required for the Welcome and the Lunch & Governor’s Small Business Awards located in the Spring Lake Ballroom. The breakout sessions in the Chautauqua and San Marcos rooms will be open to the public and subject to space availability.